Tuesday 24 December 2013

Best Wishes to All Fellow Runners



My dear Friend, or straying random Web surfer…

…I just wanted to say a little thank you for the time you’ve spent reading this load of rubbish over the past year – here and on I Can’t Stand Running. Knowing that people take the time to read this is one of the things that motivate me to get up in the morning and clock up some miles, which hopefully then translate into good performances when it matters. This year I failed in my quest to keep my training in focus but plans are afoot to ensure that’s not the case from this point onwards.

All in all, it’s been a very fortunate 2013. With a week to go, I’ve racked up 3,025 miles. I’ve continued to run every day, something I started doing on October 12, 2012, bringing my overall runstreak to 439 days and 3,648 miles. I am grateful that I’ve had the opportunity to do so, that my body and my mind have successfully collaborated to make this possible, the body bending to the mind’s will and the mind overcoming the temptation to allow the body to carry on lying in a warm and comfortable bed on dark morning when the wind and rain howled outside. And on beautiful summer mornings too, for that matter. I’ve had the opportunity to run in the UK, Italy, France, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, the US… and see some pretty nice places in the process, places I would not have seen had I been in my old airport / hotel / meeting / airport mode. And I’ve raised more smiles than I like to acknowledge I’ve been lucky. Or maybe blessed. Or indeed both. Deo adjuvante, labor proficit.

I began the year having run my maiden 10k and Half Marathon in September 2012. I end it having added another 10k, five Half Marathons, two Marathons and one Ultra to the list. Them’s the official lot, anyway… on the whole, I’ve run at least 13.1mi on 103 occasions. But I suspect you’ve heard me mention that already…

…and if you have heard me mention that and it wasn’t on here, chances are it was on Twitter, Facebook or Strava. I try not to talk too much running on Facebook, though based on my “2013 review” that the site generated I’m obviously failing miserably! But Twitter and Strava… that’s where I get the bulk of my motivation. Motivation and wisdom, for that matter. So thank you: for every tweet, for every comment, for every insight, for every time you’ve looked at my run doodle and made a comment that wasn’t about its shape… oh gu on, for those too!

After the year that’s now coming to an end, am I finally a proper runner? Hah! I don’t believe in the existence of “proper runners”. Well, actually I do: as in, we’re all proper runners. It’s not about the miles or the pace: it’s about strapping up those laces and putting one foot in front of another, whether for a few miles here and there or for something that sounds far more grandiose. On those relatively rare occasions when I do race, the sight that most warms my heart is that of folk who are not in optimal shape or of advanced years who overcome their struggles to cross that finishing line. My hardest half to date was my first one, when twelve miles in I swore I’d never race again. This year I’ve been able to make some good progress in terms of both pace and distance: wherever you’re at with your running, hopefully you’ll join me in repeating the feat next year. For your sake and mine!

So, my fellow runner: here’s wishing you a Merry Christmas and a runtastic, successful 2014 – however you define ‘success’. As I’ve said before, I will define ‘success’ as a sub-1:30’ Half, a sub-3:30’ Marathon and a “Got To The End” Highland Fling. Have you set yourself some goals yet? C’mon, you’ve only a week left… always helps to have something to work towards… Indeed, I’d happily add “run at least twenty parkruns” to my goals. Trouble is, goals are meant to be achievable, right?

You know, I think we’ve earnt a little indulgence over the coming week. Not that neither of us want to undo all the good work to date, mind. Let’s just try to behave when sharing the table with folk who don’t share our approach to exercise. I don’t mean it terms of what goes into our mouth I mean in terms of what comes out of it! So it may not be appropriate to say, for example, stuff like “Well at least I know I’ll burn it all off”, or “Doesn’t food taste better when you know you’ve earnt it?”, or indeed “Good luck with that fad diet next month – remind me, how did the last one go?”. Best just keep our mouths shut and chew away, without worrying unduly about carb, protein and fat content. Let’s just be…
Content.

All the best,
Giacomo / g.o.s. / Gia

No comments:

Post a Comment